[game_edu] Definition of a Game

Pete[r] Landwehr plandweh at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 8 11:37:57 EST 2009

Hey all,

In case you haven't read it (& sorry for those to whom this is old
news), Jesper Juul has a pretty interesting essay on the topic at
http://www.jesperjuul.net/text/gameplayerworld/, in which he
identifies six features of a "classic game model", with the idea that
we can make games that transcend this model by altering some of its
salient features. To save people time, I'll just put this bit in
here.

The game definition I propose finally has 6 points:
1) Rules: Games are rule-based.
2) Variable, quantifiable outcome: Games have variable, quantifiable outcomes.
3) Value assigned to possible outcomes: That the different potential
outcomes of the game are assigned different values, some being
positive, some being negative.
4) Player effort: That the player invests effort in order to influence
the outcome. (I.e. games are challenging.)
5) Player attached to outcome: That the players are attached to the
outcomes of the game in the sense that a player will be the winner and
"happy" if a positive outcome happens, and loser and "unhappy" if a
negative outcome happens.
6) Negotiable consequences: The same game [set of rules] can be played
with or without real-life consequences.

I don't know that this definition has the grace of many simpler, more
elegant one sentence definitions, but it does delineate a lot of the
conventional game space. Juul's idea is that some things are
definitely classic games (Dance Dance Revolution), some things are
borderline cases (The Sims, many MMOs), & things that are not games
(walking down the street). So by this standard, I'd say that passage
is a borderline case (meets points 1 and 6, but is very sketchy on
points 2 - 5, or at least such was Rohrer's intent.) Don't know that
this helps us any more than the other definitions put out on the list
(since we're all just fitting Passage into a framework), but this
might be a useful addition.

Best,

pml