[game_edu] Game "creators"

Lewis Pulsipher lewpuls at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:29:50 EST 2009

Outside the game industry, ask a computer-knowledgeable person what a
"developer" is, and he'll almost always say, someone who writes program code
(whether you call them programmers or engineers or something else).

I considered "maker", but the art-oriented folks may not care for that, as
it tends to paint game creators as people indulging in little-respected
"mechanical art" (works of the hands) rather than more-respected "liberal
art" (works of the mind). "Maker" is certainly preferable to "developer",
however.

Interesting to hear the objections to "creator". I certainly never
associated it with Creationism (which is truly an ignorant notion). Of
course, you as creator *are* the "god" of the world you've made (the game).
It all works (or should work) just the way you choose it to, you make all
the physical laws, etc.

The industry is unnaturally (given how games are now made) dominated by
programmers. This is one step to counteracting that domination. I won't go
on at further length, I sent an opinion piece to Gamasutra about this term a
week or so ago, though given the amount of money it would cost to change the
names of Game Developer Magazine and Game Developers' Conference, one might
wonder whether they'll use it.

LP