[game_edu] Getting information about game education to those interested in it

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 11:30:35 EDT 2009

Last year we had an ad hoc committee put together and we discussed the idea
of an IGDA approval/accreditation. Upon completion of their report, the
answer was overwhelming not at this time. Meaning this is a subject we need
to approach in the future, possibly put together a more formal committee to
work in tandem with the next (2011) Curriculum Framework project.

Susan

On 7/9/09 11:19 AM, "Andrew Armstrong" <andrew at aarmstrong.org> wrote:

> Just a point, I'm getting feedback and ideas for revamping the Students SIG,

> and a few people have brought up the IGDA and accreditation for courses. I did

> mention this was more and Education SIG area, and possibly worth thinking

> about in the long term.

> Since the Students SIG doesn't even exist yet, really, I honestly agree that

> the IGDA website is utterly unknown for those who are choosing where to go. If

> it gets off the ground (with worldwide information made available), the site

> as a whole could be pushed to those advice institutions who run career

> websites, perhaps.

> (Advice for your career after you have a degree is something else though, and

> entirely suited to the IGDA site).

> Anyway, neat idea, it didn't really end though - I presume this is something

> the Education SIG is now going to do?

> Andrew

> Lewis Pulsipher wrote:

>> Some time ago there was a discussion here about how to help potential video

>> game students make good choices about their education.

>> The problem is not so much to create that information, as to make it

>> available where those folks might actually find it.  Unfortunately, the IGDA

>> Web site is not likely to be a high traffic method of distribution; a great

>> many wannabe students don¹t seem to be aware of the IGDA at all.  Further,

>> the minority of game students who actually come to IGDA looking for

>> information is the group who least need what IGDA might tell them.

>> So I prefer to use GameCareerGuide.  At 200,000 page views a month, it

>> probably gets a lot more traffic from potential students than do IGDA

>> education sites.  My latest take on what students need to do is at:

>> http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/757/industry_hopefuls_prepare_.php

>> You may know that the company that runs Gamasutra/GameCareerGuide etc. laid

>> off some people some time ago, including the editor of GCG.  Jill Duffy did a

>> good job of answering student questions about game schools, but now no one on

>> staff has time to do that job.   This is an opportunity, then, for educators

>> to take a more active part by contributing to GCG.   If you disagree with my

>> article, or have more to say (I know I have), then write something and send

>> it to Gamasutra (cnutt[usual symbol here]gamasutra.com <http://gamasutra.com>

>> , the C stands for Christian).

>> Using this venue avoids another problem which was becoming obvious during the

>> discussion on this listserv, that any IGDA-approved recommendations would be

>> quite unlikely to ³tell it like it is², that is, would be something like

>> lowest-common-denominator (in this case, that most of us teach game-related

>> topics).

>> But more than just students need information.  Three other groups need

>> information:

>> Administrators who have no idea what a game creation program entails.

>> Those who may teach in a new game creation program.

> [...]

Susan Gold
Skype: tahoegold

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde