[game_edu] GDC - CFP

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:47:16 EDT 2009

First of all, I am very excited to say that I have posted our keynote slides
on our website (http://igda.org/education). I will try to post the workshop
slides and materials in short order. I want to thank everyone who shared
their expertise and knowledge with the SIG. We had four workshops, C++ Mini
Games, Blender, MDA and Game Design Improv ­ all these slides are
forthcoming.

Susan

--

Dear colleagues and friends of the game research community,

We are happy to announce that the new edition of "Eludamos. Journal for
Computer Game Culture." <http://www.eludamos.org> is now online.

The strong "perspectives" section offers intriguing observations on learning
through passion, game competence, serious games and biographical aspects of
gameplay experiences.

Articles explore games' specific characteristics of self-imagining from a
comparative media studies point of view, and alternate reality gaming.

The academic game reviews are again informative as well as entertaining,
ranging from insightful analyses of game classics to the latest AAA
blockbuster.

Call for Papers

The call for papers for "Eludamos. Journal for Computer Game Culture" is now
open, and again, we cordially invite submissions dealing with everything
that is relevant to the field of game studies.

Additionally, we are opening the call for a special issue of Eludamos,
titled: "Next Gen."
Guest editors are Thomas J. Apperley, Darshana Jayemanne and Christian
McCrea.

Console gaming has already had more than one ŒNext Generation¹. PC gamers
feverishly upgrade their rigs with each new state of the art FPS.
Periodisation is often a major preoccupation for critics and publics
interested in other media, but in the case of videogames the rapid pace of
technical development seems to set the agenda of generational change. Games
are caught up, culturally as well as aesthetically and technically, in their
own futurism: each generation claims to be both anticipation and fulfillment
of an imagined horizon of experience. Simultaneously, older technologies
find new uses and contexts within the very conditions of their supposed
obsolescence. Gaming is constantly speculating on its own future and
recalling its past in order to coordinate a restless present. Just how
coherent are gaming¹s generations, and is the adoption of such
classifications from the wider culture useful or counter-productive for
academic game studies?

This special issue of Eludamos invites essays on the topic of generational
change in gaming, from broad overviews of the critical usefulness of
Œofficial¹ Next Generations to microhistories of individual game franchises
or lineages, from agenda-setting successes to failed attempts that were too
soon, too late, or just too bad. Possible avenues of exploration may
include:

The New Games journalism, advertising, hype and style in the gaming press
Generational change in academia: Do we need a new Game Studies?
Materiality: Histories of specific devices, console design and futurism.
Audio and graphical standards and the historical status of claims to the
realistic
Audio and graphical standards and the historical status of claims to the
cinematic
Retrogaming, popping, speedruns, machinima, bitscene music
Curatorship and exhibition of gaming history ­ problems, opportunities,
practices
Family and gaming: playing across generations
Globalisation and the uneven distribution of gaming¹s generations E-waste
and the unrecognised costs of generational change

The issue is open to papers that go beyond these suggestions, and the
editors encourage any innovative approach linking the topics of gaming and
generations.

All articles undergo a double blind peer review process except for papers
submitted to the game review section. We expect all submissions to be in
English and accept full papers only. For further specificiations about our
submission guidelines please consult http://www.eludamos.org.

Important dates

1st of August: submission deadline for the upcoming regular issue of
Eludamos, as well as the special issue ³Next Gen²

25th of Oct. 2009: publication date

We are looking forward to read from you soon!

Please feel free to spread the word and to post this announcement on your
blogs or to send it to potentially interested colleagues.

--
Susan Gold
Skype: tahoegold

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde