[game_edu] thoughts on access to industry research

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:46:15 EDT 2009

As you all know, I am always very busy looking for resources and
opportunities for all of us to benefit, but sometimes I come across small
stumbling blocks. This is one of those occasions where I need a couple more
heads to help me come up with possible solutions that might help bring this
resource to all of us in education.

I recently found myself on a quest to access game industry research
information that is normally sold to various studios per report or via
purchasing seats to the database of information. When I am referring to
research information, I mean in-depth information on game titles, industry
trends, franchise history, marketing analysis, competition analysis, etc...
This is information that really is not accessible via a Google search. I
tried to talk to the folks at NPD, ³I appreciate your inquiry, but at this
point NPD does not wish to participate. We have quite a strain on our
resources right now, so we can't make any time commitment.² I then spoke to
EEDAR, a ³a business intelligence company². The cost to get access to
EEDAR¹s info via GamePulse is $25K USD per seat (or $50K for 5 seats) per
year with most large studios buying into the 5 seat access. Of course, that
kind of pocket change is not in the budget of most educational departments.
So I have been in touch with the CEO of EEDAR (http://eedar.com) and he said
that he has a great affinity for education, he realizes that this is
information that educators need access to in order to really give students a
true understanding of the business of games. However he finds it hard to
sell something to EA for $25K and then turnaround and sell the same thing to
educators for considerably less. So he is looking for ideas on how to do
business with educational institutions without jeopardizing current clients.
My questions to you: 1) is this the kind of information you would like
access to? 2) what would you be willing to pay if your institution could
have access? 3) can you think of a reasonable recommendation that would
satisfy all parties?

Ideas that are currently being floated:
* Creating a ³lite² version of GamePulse ­ probably branded under a
different name
* Custom reports that give game industry info with permission to
redistribute to students (custom reports are still pricey, but not like the
all access GamePulse). Typically, there is no license to redistribute.

All of your comments and ideas will be compiled and I will present them in
hopes of making something like this open to all educators.

Everyone have a great weekend (those in the USA ­ have a great long
weekend).

Susan
--
Susan Gold
Skype: tahoegold

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde