[game_edu] Open source RTS engine recommendations?

Michael Mateas michaelm at cs.ucsc.edu
Sun Sep 26 18:01:35 EDT 2010

The Brood War API for Starcraft lets you hook external AIs up to
Starcraft. AIIDE is having a Starcraft AI competition this year:
http://eis.ucsc.edu/StarCraftAICompetition. Yes, it does require the use
of a non-free game, but Starcraft is cheap, and has the advantage of
having a large base of expert players to compare your AI performance
against, as well as having large numbers of playtraces that can be
datamined if you want to employ machine learning/case-based reasoning
techniques.

-Michael