[game_edu] Unity Workshop Curriculum?

Tom Dowd tomdowd at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 11 10:44:24 EST 2011

When we started our current year-long senior capstone class last fall our
seniors petitioned that we use Unity 3.0 (which had just been released)
instead of the current engine we'd been supporting. I had them do a risk
analysis on the engine change to convince me, and they did. They ued the
Noesis courseware and it got them up to speed in no time at all.

Starting next fall, we'll be using Unity as our primary platform and using
the Noesis courseware in lieu of textbooks. The students pay for their own
subscription, which is $15 a month for four months, which we will ask them
to do instead of purchasing a game-engine focused textbook. The seats for
Unity Pro throuh NI are at the same discount as through Unity itself.

I'll actually be talking about our experience with the Noesis courseware
during one of their preentations in the Unity booth at the Game Developers
Conference in a few weeks.

TomD

Tom Dowd
Assistant Professor/Game Development Coordinator
Columbia College Chicago
Interactive Arts and Media/Game Design Major
916 South Wabash Avenue, room 137
Chicago IL, 60605
EM: <mailto:tdowd at colum.edu> tdowd at colum.edu
PH: 312.369.7114