[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Adam Parker aparker at qantmcollege.edu.au
Wed Mar 9 20:38:31 EST 2011

Ian,

We do this as a part of our initial prototyping/basic programming course for
designers... although we have focused on analysing the comparative merits of
languages, rather than IDEs or middleware. I think there is some merit in
the tighter approach you suggest.

Personally, I prefer to introduce the concepts of programming to designers
through a designated tool, as part of the process is learning to think code
within a community of practice. Shared devkits allow for shared learning.

We do allow liberty for students, after this point, to spec their own dev
tech. At present, our designers tend to work within UDK for historical
reasons, but we are seeing more interest in Unity as I mentioned above.
We've also had students work with Ogre.

We also have students sketch mechanics with GameMaker and mod with GECK and
ESCS. I have a team working within LittleBigPlanet 2 as a means to exploring
its methods for designerly construction as understood through McCulloch's
notion of digital craft. (I've also wanted to implement Kodu for them, but
simply haven't gotten around to it myself...my 9 yo daughter loves it, so
way to go, sooner or later)

~Adam