[game_edu] Game Suggestions

coachpayne at aol.com coachpayne at aol.com
Tue Oct 18 07:51:29 EDT 2011

Thanks for the input on game design programs and environments. My students all have laptops, heavy on the MacBook side, and most of these suggestions were playable on both.

Next question: if you could have a group of high school students play a game to get a feel for game design, what would it (they) be? I'd like to know which games, digital and non-digital,would be useful to play, maybe prior to the first real meeting after signup. Preferably, these would be accessible online, and free is better. I want the students to figure out "fun" for themselves prior to discussing the idea. Games I've used include the classic tic-tac-toe and rock-scissors-paper, as well as checkers and chess, Risk, and the ball game 4-square for non-digital, Angry Birds (of course) for smartphones and tablets, and Sim City and others for digital. I might also have them play some arcade games such as Space Invaders and Asteroids. Relatively non-violent games would be preferred, given an audience of sophomore/junior private school kids, with a girls school hosting this mini-term course. I'd really like to develop a large range of games. I've got lots of resources, mainly at my "old" school, (http://dpsgaming.wikispaces.com/Books+and+Other+Resources), but your current suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to create some sort of list this week, if possible.

Thanks.

Charlie Payne, M.Ed.
Teacher of Physics
St. Catherine's School