[game_edu] STEM Education & Accountability, Teacher Effectiveness Legislation

Susan Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 11:12:13 EST 2012

I'm sorry, this post is US centric.

Sometimes I can't help but be political and this is not about one party or another. This is about the future of education in the US and the need for solid STEM education foundations in our K-12 schools. Everyone has their opinions about who will lead correctly and I am just hoping that you can help me sway the leaders in congress to reconsider their current action on legislation. The current proposal removes the existing requirement for testing in science. It does maintain testing in math and reading, but as we all know, that is not sufficient. I think this sends a powerful, negative and unambiguous signal to US schools that science along with its related sub-disciplines, is no longer a national priority. If the requirement for science testing is eliminated, schools will shift their limited resources away from science classes, devoting less time and fewer teachers.

I just created a letter to House Education & Workforce Chairman, Rep. John Kline (R-MN) to please reconsider. To sign my letter: http://www.change.org/petitions/stem-education; I am trying to get 100 signatures. It will just take a moment and when your done, if you could share the URL, I would be appreciative.

Susan
--
Susan Gold
In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!