[game_edu] What is the name for this principle?

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jun 5 14:42:36 EDT 2012

Could be related, but I've seen relatively severe forms. There was an
educational game that had a clown climbing a rope. The player had to
type in the solution to a simple arithmetic expression (3+2) to have the
clown climb a few feet. Get to the top and go to the next level!

... except that the rope was actually a lit fuse, and the clown would
fall if the burning part reached him. His face would change expression
and he'd fall. I saw young players panic and burst into tears when they
saw the end of the fuse approaching. It was not motivating, to be sure.

Now, this is a pathological instance and the player's age is certainly a
factor, but I think it's a bit more than a basic fear of losing. Still,
I'm open to the thought.

Jim