[game_edu] What is the name for this principle?

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 10:45:19 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Jim Parker <jparker at ucalgary.ca> wrote:

> Now, this is a pathological instance and the player's age is certainly a

> factor, but I think it's a bit more than a basic fear of losing. Still, I'm

> open to the thought.

I have to go with loss aversion (which is something completely different
from the fear of losing at a game, by the way). People are more afraid of
losing stuff they have, than of not gaining new stuff.

In the clown-on-a-fuse game you describe, the mechanism is also the natural
empathy with the character. Players will want to rescue characters in
distress and to prevent harm done to characters, if they bond with
characters at all.

Cheers,
Maria Droujkova
919-388-1721

Make math your own, to make your own math