[game_edu] Games in the Library

Allan Fowler Allan.Fowler at waiariki.ac.nz
Sun Mar 4 21:37:08 EST 2012

Hi Malcolm,

I would recommend asking a couple if the independent developers for an 'educational version' of their game (aka a donation). When they realize what this can mean, you might be surprised by the results. As far as putting software in the library, this has always been tricky due to the copyright. Most EULA do not allow for loans or rentals (and yes this includes the many libraries and rental shops that tend to ignore this).

However, if your library is prepared to ignore this, then this would be a great choice. My experience is that I ask students to play a particular game before class (this week is Portal 2) and 99% of them find a way to play it. The 1% that can't find a way usually borrow one of my copies (that was donated by the publisher).

Hope this helps...

Allan Fowler
Senior Lecturer - Game Design
School of Computing Technology & Communications
Waiariki Institute of Technology
Private Bag 3028
Rotorua 3046
New Zealand