[game_edu] HTML 5 2D

Jeremy Gibson jrgibson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 10:30:19 EDT 2014

Just to follow up on Siobhan's comments:

Before my current gig in a computer science program, I taught programming
to people who were non-programmers from 2000-2013 (most recently for the
Interactive Media and Games Division of the cinema school @ USC). I taught
a variety of languages in that time, including Macromedia Director Lingo,
ActionScript, Unity JavaScript, and Unity C#. Across all of that time, the
two most successful languages for non-programmers were Lingo (because of
its simplicity and the power of Director) and Unity C#. Flash ActionScript
was my primary teaching focus from late 2000 to 2010, and even after 10
years of teaching it, my students were able to do less the final semester
that I taught Flash game development than the first semester that I taught
Unity C# game development. C# is a fantastic language that enforces good
programming habits and eventually becomes much faster and easier to work
with (even for students who are "non-programmers") because of things like
robust code completion that just aren't available in a non-strongly-typed
language.

Now, I strongly recommend Unity and C# for anyone working with first-time
programmers. :)

  – Jeremy

————————————————
Jeremy R. Gibson
Game Designer / Professor
o. 434.321.8624    c.512.659.8624

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 2:07 AM, Siobhan Thomas <four at nucleus.com> wrote:

> Yes, will do:)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 27 Jun 2014, at 03:53, Angel Rivera <arivera at utica.edu> wrote:
>
> Would you write back to the mailing list with the frameworks/engines you
> picked and why you picked them.
>
> Thanks
>

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Siobhan Thomas <four at nucleus.com> wrote:
>
>> Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses! You've given me a lot
>> to think about:)
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 26 Jun 2014, at 07:02, Angel Rivera <arivera at utica.edu> wrote:
>>
>> There are so many.
>>
>> ImpactJs is popular and well maintained and you can also use it to create
>> HTML5 games for the WiiU. Impactjs.com
>>
>> Construct2 exports games in html5+js. It has a javascript SDK for deep
>> acess and to implement custom features. You can also make WiiU games with
>> it and almost for any other platform. Good for beginners and advanced
>> developers. Integration with Spriter for sprite animations, advanced
>> collision boxes, etc. We use Construct2 in my school for introduction to
>> gamedev. Www.scirra.com
>>
>> Maybe others have more information.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>  On Jun 25, 2014 8:46 AM, "Siobhan Thomas" <four at nucleus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> Just need a quick bit of advice. We currently use flash+as3+flash
>>> builder for our first year first semester 2d games module.
>>>
>>> I'd like to move to HTML5. Anyone have any suggestions in this regard?
>>> Can anyone suggest a good engine? Framework? Etc?
>>>
>>> We already use Unity, so this would be something other than that.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Siobhan