[game_edu] Language Neutral Games

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 13:21:28 EST 2015

By "language neutral" I assume you mean games that use icons and pictures with a minimum of text?
I'd look in the literature on UI design, iconography, and semiotics.
And also look at language-independent games, of which there are many - not just board games, but also video games (think of how many retro arcade games, especially, had no text and minimal instructions; also look at games like Journey which have simple controls and no text throughout the experience).
I would also say to look at not just language-neutral but also culture-neutral (some icons and colors have drastically different meanings across cultures) but in this case it sounds like the target audience is all of a specific culture so that's less of a problem.
- Ian