[MacLoggerContest] Re: MacLoggerDX tab order

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Tue Aug 2 14:48:14 EDT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

On 2-Aug-05, at 2:17 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> Hi Don, & others for comment/info
>
> On Aug 2, 2005, at 1:23 pm, Don Agro wrote:
>

>> I am still not sure who is using the string srx and stx fields -
>> and for what - so I will leave them there for now.
>>

> Yes please leave them.   There are many variants of exchange used
> in contest logging and whilst you provide dedicated fields for most
> of them, it is currently not practical to TAB to the correct one in
> each event to enter the extra data beyond RST and Serial Number.
> These string fields provide a standard place to put much of the
> additional exchange data if we can't get to the dedicated provided
> field.

OK will do.

> I presume that clever people will be able to set up scripts similar
> to those you have already published in order to program whatever
> TAB order is required for different events.   (I am sure there must
> be a more Mac UI-like approach to doing this than writing and
> executing applescript in conjunction with the 3rd party Function
> Key assignment utilities!)

There is absolutely nothing un-Mac-like about using function keys for
combining actions or customizing software - that's what they are for.

> Unfortunately for those of us who use an Apple laptops in the
> shack, the function keys are already set to do Apple Hardware
> things such as Screen Brightness, Sound volume, num lock, Keyboard
> backlighting etc.

Not is simply not true. The System Preferences/Keyboard/"Use the F1-
F12 ..." checkbox allows you to use the PowerBook's function keys.
Just tried it here with XKeys works fine.

> and using Fn plus an F-key is not really easy.

Nor is it necessary.

> So the recent scripting on F keys is not all that helpful in my case,

Actually, if you click that checkbox it would be :)

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com