[MacLoggerContest] Re: MacLoggerDX tab order

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Wed Aug 3 17:34:04 EDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 12:36 pm, Don Agro wrote:

> According to the subject line it is about Tab Order in MLDX and how to
> optimize it for contesting without negative impact to other users. We
> have also been discussing Function Key/AppleScript customization of
> MLDX data entry.
>
> You rejected the function key solution presented because you thought
> it wouldn't work on a powerbook and proceeded to offer your analysis
> of several contests and your view of tab-order and new fields
> requirements.
In a separate mail I quickly acknowledged that I had been mistaken in
not knowing about the F key checkbox in Keyboard Prefs and thanked you
for the education.

> This is useful analysis but takes us back to first principles and
> implies that we might need more fields.

Sorry I didn't explain the reason for my analysis well enough.  I
didn't mean to take us back to first principles nor to imply that we
need more fields.
I was trying to ask whether the Function Key/Applescript idea being
discussed (which I repeat I am also grateful for!) could be further
extended to cover practically all the contests I showed in the analysis
by customising further scripts to take the user to the fields (already
provided sufficiently - I agree with Scott on this) required for
various events in the best order.
So to set up for a particular event which requires TABs to specific
fields beyond just the RST/serial, one could just load particular
scripts for that event (suitably named) and the F keys would provide
the correct field positioning to complete the required remaining
exchange!

> This implication was rebutted by Scott Andersen who has suggested that
> the fields are more than sufficient as they stand...

As I already said above, I didn't mean that implication - hence I agree
with Scott that existing fields are basically sufficient.  I even
summarised that with just a few more scripts, practically all the
events listed in my analysis would be successfully accommodated.

> On 2-Aug-05, at 2:22 PM, Scott Andersen wrote:
>
>> The Cab-Converter program has documentation for each contest (or, at
>> least
>> _will_ have documentation for each contest) describing what
>> information
>> from the exchange needs to be captured and where it should be put.
>> While I could always brain-storm more ways MLDX could somehow help
>> with this, isn't it true that the current fields, along with a
>> healthy Cab-converter, are sufficient? (It has been for me...)

Yes - Scott - I mentioned your Cab Converter as a positive thing of one
solution which can do the valuable job of capturing the right data and
putting it in the right place in the log entry - I was trying to give
it a plug rather than to be negative.

> I value your input and am requesting that you give us your views on
> the solutions being discussed/developed rather than returning to first
> principles.
Already dealt with this above I think.  Sorry my intentions before were
not clearer.

> If there is something about the Function Key/AppleScript solutions
> being offered that bothers you, please let us know what it is.
No honestly it's good !   Nothing bothers me about something that helps
the solution.

> Somewhere along the line the assumption was made (and I agree) that
> short of developing a UI designer for MLDX, some re-arrangement of the
> fields and use of AppleScript/Function Keys could benefit contesters
> without harming non-contest use.

Yes and I agree.  I fully support the changes you have made to try and
strike a balance.
Again I had hoped my analysis might also offer some high level cross
check of what optimum positioning together with the F Key TAB scripting
approach would help support the major events.

> Where we stand with 4.1.1b25 is that this somewhat optimized sequence
> (without using AppleScript or Function Keys) is now possible where it
> wasn't before...
>
> Fast Keyboard Logging for Contesters:
>
>    1. Enter call.
>    2. Hit return (this does a lookup).
>    3. One <tab> takes you to SRX numeric. STX auto-increments (set in
> Prefs Panel)
I was trying to suggest a possible 3a ...
3a Optionally perhaps with a further applescript, a suitable F Key
could auto TAB to any additional field required for some events (e.g. a
province/state code etc.)  The actual script used could be different
per event or not needed at all. ????
>    4. Hit <shift><command> L this logs the call and highlights call
> text.
>    5. <command> K clears all the fields and repositions the cursor to
> the Call Sign field. - Ready for 1 again.
>
>     * Power, RST Sent, and RST Received fields are remembered across
> sessions and not cleared since they are hand entered and not found in
> a look up.

I hope I have managed to add to the thread topic with this posting
rather than appear to be critical or negative (which was never my
intention before either.  :)

BTW - was my suggestion of further @ variables for the keyer something
that could be considered ? - i.e. which doesn't have negative impact on
non-contest use of MLDX - the main one is @STX (the updating serial
sent) - sorry if this is already available and its my ignorance getting
in the way!   I know the keyer variables was not the TAB order topic of
the thread, but it  is related to the fields that we have been
discussing.

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ