[MacLoggerContest] Re: MacLoggerDX tab order

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Wed Aug 3 18:10:05 EDT 2005

Hi Jonathan,

On 3-Aug-05, at 5:34 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

>> This is useful analysis but takes us back to first principles and
>> implies that we might need more fields.
>
> Sorry I didn't explain the reason for my analysis well enough.  I
> didn't mean to take us back to first principles nor to imply that
> we need more fields.
> I was trying to ask whether the Function Key/Applescript idea being
> discussed (which I repeat I am also grateful for!) could be further
> extended to cover practically all the contests I showed in the
> analysis by customising further scripts to take the user to the
> fields (already provided sufficiently - I agree with Scott on this)
> required for various events in the best order.
> So to set up for a particular event which requires TABs to specific
> fields beyond just the RST/serial, one could just load particular
> scripts for that event (suitably named) and the F keys would
> provide the correct field positioning to complete the required
> remaining exchange!

That would be nice but I can't really say where the AppleScripts will
take us - I don't believe they will ever get us to the point of
changing the UI automatically on a contest by contest basis but they
can combine tasks and aid in data entry and provide some level of
customization. People are coming up with things that I had never
thought of - so while I am excited about the prospect, I don't think
you will see an AppleScript that fully configures MLDX for a specific
contest, I think you might get several scripts that will cover a
variety of situations though.

> I was trying to suggest a possible 3a ...
> 3a Optionally perhaps with a further applescript, a suitable F Key
> could auto TAB to any additional field required for some events
> (e.g. a province/state code etc.)  The actual script used could be
> different per event or not needed at all. ????

Absolutely.

> I hope I have managed to add to the thread topic with this posting

Yes you have - as you always do.

> BTW - was my suggestion of further @ variables for the keyer
> something that could be considered ? - i.e. which doesn't have
> negative impact on non-contest use of MLDX - the main one is @STX
> (the updating serial sent) - sorry if this is already available and
> its my ignorance getting in the way!   I know the keyer variables
> was not the TAB order topic of the thread, but it  is related to
> the fields that we have been discussing.

Good idea. Have a look at v4.1.1b28

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html>

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com