[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX V5 for Cocoa Contest Helper

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Feb 19 17:23:02 EST 2009

Hi Jonathan,

On 19-02-2009, at 5:03 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> I'm sure that a quick audio discussion on iChat would resolve some

> of these queries quicker than the 20 or so emails flowing back and

> forth but not sure that fits the logistics of you both ... happy to

> bend to fit tho

It's probably best to keep it on the contest list to get as much
feedback as possible.

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 8:52 pm, Don Agro wrote:

>> On 19-02-2009, at 3:26 PM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:

>>> Current Band - really killer feature; need to have, low on scale

>>> Being able to choose the band in the contest helper pop-up is

>>> probably the significant issue. Some contests allow dup QSO's on a

>>> different mode/band - ie in multi-band contests. So being able to

>>> choose if a dupe is per date or per date AND band is important -

>>> doing so automatically based on current band would be a very good

>>> feature, but picking it by hand is ok in my book.

> OK but I'm thinking about all those comments that people made

> telling me that some folk contesting solid for >24 hours cant

> remember their own name necessarily so we shouldn't assume things

> etc. I am afraid I would forget to change the drop down in the

> contest helper every time I change band and hence the dupe

> indication would be worthless. That's the only reason I suggested

> automatically offering "current band" ... I had no idea that it

> wasn't simple to do ... sorry - to clarify when I said make the drop

> down simpler I merely meant aesthetically having 2 entries instead

> of each band plus all! I didn't mean to second guess how easy or

> difficult it is to program - Don's the expert there ... what he says

> goes!

It's in Beta 10.

>>> David and I are almost agreeing here I think! That typical

>>> response is almost right - what I want to be able to give...

>>> except that it is received serial not sent which is most useful in

>>> convincing the other guy that we have indeed already worked ...

>>> Telling him what serial you gave him yesterday at 23:58 doesn't

>>> help him find (and possibly correct) your call in his log.

>>> Instead saying "we worked yesterday at 23:58 - you gave me 106"

>>> immediately lets him look in his log at QSO 106 and check the call

>>> recorded then against your call now. Hence my asking for received

>>> and not sent number.

OK, well they are both in beta 10

> Agree with David ... It is NOT necessary to display received string

> - just number.

OK, no strings in beta 10, just tx and rx sn.

>>> Do you want both received serial number and sent serial number ?

> No - as above. If he copied my number wrong and my call wrong then

> its not a QSO !!! I would just work the dupe again.

They are both there in Beta 10 - move the one you are not interested
in off to the right.

>> Rewriting the duplicate list data source to display dates as

>> "Yesterday" instead of the date is not trivial.

>> You can set the date controller at the start of the contest to show

>> nothing before the start of the contest and that is remembered in

>> the Prefs so you are only dealing with one or two dates.

> Ok - again didn't know what the complexity is - just noticed that

> Apple often code things to substitute Yesterday and Today rather

> than actual dates in finder windows in details view for example.

> In the case of dupes ... contests only last max 48 hours so it can

> only be one of two days max. And rather than remembering the date

> in the heat of it all, I just thought reading it and saying as David

> suggested "We worked yesterday/today at ..." would be simpler for

> the operator than mentally thinking and saying the relevant word.

> However this is not a big deal at all ... I can manage the mental

> work!

There will only be one or two dates displayed if you set the date
picker at the start of the contest.

> If the others have that use it have time to click and populate it

> fine .. I don't (when working 6Qs a minute) - its no big deal if the

> facility stays but I David and I need not use it. I wouldn't use

> the lookup feature in the contest helper window so to answer your

> question I guess always inactive.

The Prefs will keep them set to whatever you like.

> Let me try another example on the Dupe thing to see if it is easier

> to explain how it would help the operator most (but yes I agree

> that exact match is required for dupe)...

> I type G0A (Dupe window shows nothing unless I have worked short

> call G0A) .. I continue typing B (Dupe window still shows nothing

> unless I have worked G0AB - unlikely as 2 letter suffixes with G0

> prefix were never issued!) ... I continue to type C and the Dupe

> window stays empty unless I have worked G0ABC, subject to the date

> and band criteria already set. If I have worked him on other bands

> within the time/date criteria ideally it would show in normal

> colour. If I have worked him on the band I am on (assuming I have

> set the band drop down correctly or current is implemented) it

> should show highlighted in the list (dare I mention red?) to

> immediately tell me NOT to work him again.

> I dont care if he calls me as G0ABC/P or /A or anything ... if it is

> the same station on the same band (or different band depending on

> contest) I don't want him again. This is similarly true in the

> unlikely case that he crosses the border into Wales and calls me as

> GW0ABC ... he's still a dupe!

Beta 10 will find the typed string in any position for both call
completion and dupes. I don't think it will be a problem.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW