[PAGID] A-T and hepatocarcinoma

Sergio Rosenzweig sdrosenzweig at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 20 17:56:39 EST 2006

Dear friends,
  One of my colleagues in our unit is following an A-T pt with hapatocellular carcinoma. Here are her concerns and questions.
  Your advice will be apreciated.
  Sergio

  Sergio D. Rosenzweig, MD
  Servicio de Inmunologia
  Hospital Nacional de Pediatria "J.P. Garrahan"
  Buenos Aires, Argentina
  srosenzweig at garrahan.gov.ar

  Dear Dr.
  The patient of our concern is a 16 years old girl with AT and hepatocellular carcinoma.
  Since her immunological diagnosis she had no serious infection or other complication.
  Two months ago she started with right upper quadrant pain and elevated liver enzymes (x2). Hepatitis B and C were ruled out and alpha fetoprotein level was extremely high (>35.000 ng/ml for baseline of 500). The MRI showed a multilobular tumor of the right lobe. A percutaneous biopsy showed hepatocellular carcinoma of the fibrolamellar subtype.
  She underwent surgical resection with total macroscopic removal. During surgery, a 1 cm lesion was found on the left liver lobe, and also a tumoral thrombosis of the right portal vein. Both lesions were removed.
  Have you seen patients with AT and this kind of tumor?
  Would you use chemotherapy after surgery?
  In case you suggest chemo, what kind of protocol would you choose?
  Thanks for your help

  Barbara Ruprecht, MD