[PAGID] lymphopenia

Christine Seroogy cmseroogy at wisc.edu
Tue Jun 13 14:51:10 EDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to get your opinions about a 15y/o boy was admitted to
our hospital with a gastrointestinal lymphoma (further
characterization pending.)  He was initially seen in the immunology
clinic here at 4 years of age because of severe primary VZV
infection.  Evaluation at that time demonstrated lymphopenia--
predominately CD4--and poor mitogen response.  His B cell numbers and
function is normal (measured by titers to various vaccine antigens);
he has been persistently hypergammaglobulinemic (IgG 1000s and IgA
400s).  NK cell numbers by CD16/56 slightly diminished.  HIV
nonreactive.  He developed a Burkitt's lymphoma around age 10 and was
successfully treated, he has had refractory sinus disease and
recurrent OM.  No other infectious history or autoimmune phenomenon.
No relevant family history.  I welcome any thoughts on how to pursue
a molecular diagnosis on this child or hearing  if you have seen
similar cases.  Thank you,  Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Pediatrics