[PAGID] lymphopenia

Christine Seroogy cmseroogy at wisc.edu
Tue Jun 20 14:20:25 EDT 2006

Colleagues,

I have an update on the patient I presented last week and, again,
welcome opinions in terms of management.  The pathology on the GI
mass is now finalized as Castleman's disease.  Clinically, he does
not fit into unicentric or multicentric, but falls somewhere in
between.  It is CD20 negative and he is HHV8 positive.  So my heme/
onc colleagues are planning on treatment with chemotherapy vs.
rituximab (even with known CD20 negativity); and are inclined toward
rituximab therapy.  Given his underlying uncharacterized cellular
immunodeficiency the move to BMT is being entertained after treatment
of the Castleman's.  I don't think he has an allogeneic match and
would require MUD.  Flow for SAP was normal. HIV testing has been
negative.  I am wondering if any of you have seen Castleman's in your
immunodeficient patients and if so what the treatment was and
clinical course?  Thank you, Chris