[PAGID] lymphopenia

Kathleen E. Sullivan sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 20 14:30:05 EDT 2006

I have seen two cases of Castleman's with what we are pretty sure was a
secondary immunodeficiency (ALC normal prior to symptoms).  I am very
sad to report, both patients died after traditional chemotherapy.

On Jun 20, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Christine Seroogy wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> I have an update on the patient I presented last week and, again,
> welcome opinions in terms of management.  The pathology on the GI mass
> is now finalized as Castleman's disease.  Clinically, he does not fit
> into unicentric or multicentric, but falls somewhere in between.  It
> is CD20 negative and he is HHV8 positive.  So my heme/onc colleagues
> are planning on treatment with chemotherapy vs. rituximab (even with
> known CD20 negativity); and are inclined toward rituximab therapy.
> Given his underlying uncharacterized cellular immunodeficiency the
> move to BMT is being entertained after treatment of the Castleman's.
> I don't think he has an allogeneic match and would require MUD.  Flow
> for SAP was normal. HIV testing has been negative.  I am wondering if
> any of you have seen Castleman's in your immunodeficient patients and
> if so what the treatment was and clinical course?  Thank you, Chris
>

> On Jun 13, 2006, at 9:32 PM, K. Scott Baker wrote:
>
>> We have had 2 cases in the last couple of years, the first ended up
>> having XLP, the second we have been unable to molecularly
>> characterize a defect, he has a “CVID” phenotype. Interestingly his
>> lymphoma was metastatic Hodgkin’s at age 4, which recurred. He is
>> being treated for the recurrence and then going to allo-HCT. The XLP
>> had several recurrences of his NHL (mainly abdominal primaries). He
>> received non-myeloablative MSD BMT 2 yrs ago and has had no evidence
>> of his disease (or xlp) since. Are you planning on HCT for your
>> patient?
>>

>> K. Scott Baker, MD, MS
>>
>> Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Program
>>
>> University of Minnesota
>>
>> 420 Delaware St. SE, Mayo Bldg. Room D557
>>
>> Mayo Mail Code 484
>>
>> Minneapolis, MN 55455
>>
>> 612.625.4952 FAX 612.626.1434
>>
>> baker084 at tc.umn.edu

Kathleen E. Sullivan MD PhD
Chief, Division of Allergy and Immunology
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
(p) 215-590-1697
(f) 215-590-3044