[PAGID] Attached umbilical cord in 8 week old

Dr. med. Jan Rohr jan.rohr at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Thu Mar 6 05:20:54 EST 2008

Dear Chris,

just a thought: there are reports stating that patients suffering from
defects in IRAK-4 also display a delay in the separation of the
umbilical cord (which at least from a theoretical standpoint makes
sense: if the leukocytes cannot sense the pathogen, they won´t migrate).
These patients are extraordinarily susceptible to pneumococci and to a
lesser extend to staphylococci. Did micobiological cultures grow any
bugs during the pneumonias ?
IRAK-4 deficient patients usually don´t show any abnormalities in the
routine immunological studies such as standard lymphocyte phenotyping,
proliferation studies or immunoglobulins.

Regards,

Jan

Chris Seroogy schrieb:

> Dear Colleagues:

> I saw an 8 week old FT male in clinic this week with a solidly attached

> umbilical stump. He has had two hospitalizations for pneumonia. One at 3

> weeks (documented RSV) and the second bilateral infiltrates responsive to

> antibiotics 2 weeks ago with documented resolution. His weight is at the

> 10%ile and down from birth (25-50%ile). Normal immunoglobulins, normal T, B

> and NK cell numbers. Initially with the second hospitalization he was

> slightly neutropenic (ANC 1000) and this has normalized. He has never had a

> leukocytosis on numerous CBCs. His flow for CD18 and CD11b is normal. I

> intend to send DHR. It seems he needs more PMN functional studies, but I am

> perplexed by the lack of leukocytosis. I welcome any thoughts. Regards,

> Chris

> Chris Seroogy, M.D.

> Assistant Professor

> Dept. of Pediatrics

> Mail: H4/474 CSC, Mailstop 4108

> Shipping: H4/431 CSC, Mailstop 4108

> 600 Highland Ave.

> Madison, WI 53792

> phone: 608- 263-2652

> fax: 608-265-0164

Dr. med. Jan Rohr
Klinik I: Allgemeine Pädiatrie
Zentrum für Kinderheilkunde und Jugendmedizin
Universitätsklinikum Freiburg
Mathildenstr. 1
79106 Freiburg
Tel.: +49 761-270-4300