[PAGID] IVIG and endogenous antibody production

Howard Lederman hlederm1 at jhmi.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:12:20 EDT 2010

There are two types of relevant articles:

1. There is data from Mathu Santosham (studies of hyperimmune globulin given to Apache Indian babies to decrease the risk of pneuomococcal and H influenzae b sepsis and meningitis) that clearly show that gamma globulin interferes with the immunogenicity of live viral vaccines (e.g., MMR and varicella). That is probably a special case as only a small amount of neutralizing Ab can block replication of vaccine virus and therefore interfere with antigenicity.

2. There are also old studies comparing IVIG to placebo in premature infants as a way to prevent neonatal sepsis. Some of those studies looked at subsequent responses to vaccines in the first 6 months of life (all killed vaccines) and found no deleterious effect of the IVIG. I don't remember a specific author, but can try to find the articles when I am in my office tomorrow.

Howard