[PAGID] IVIG and endogenous antibody production

Riedl, Marc MRiedl at mednet.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 27 20:58:31 EDT 2010

Jason,

Regarding Point #2 below, there is a 2006 CDC statement addressing this question. The full document can be found at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5515a1.htm

I don't have the primary literature references for the statement, but the main points are:
1) IgG products have been shown to substantially neutralize live antigens in current measles (MMR) and varicella vaccine formulations. Efficacy may be affected for several months after IgG products are given (timing varies depending on dose and product - summarized in Table 4 of the document).
2) Typhoid, yellow fever, influenza live vaccines don't appear to be affected by IgG dosing as U.S.-sourced plasma doesn't contain significant levels of specific antibodies to these agents. Little concern for neutralization of these antigens.
3) Current data shows non-live vaccine antigens have much less interaction with IgG antibody products and appear to maintain immunogenicity so no need to alter dosing schedule.
4) Obvious caveat that we don't give live vaccines to our immunodeficient patients but certainly patients getting IVIG for other indications might benefit from these.

Best regards,

Marc

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine
10833 Le Conte Ave, 37-131 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1680
Tel 310.206.4345 Fax 310.267.0090