[PAGID] ?Unique XHIM patient

Church, Joseph JChurch at chla.usc.edu
Tue Jul 20 16:17:03 EDT 2010

Colleagues:

I am seeing an 11yo boy with XHIM for a second opinion regarding
management.

* He has had no infections indicative of B-cell/antibody
deficiency.
* He has had intermittently severe neutropenia since 2yo, now
requiring increasing doses of G-CSF.
* His IgG and IgM levels prior to IVIG therapy were normal; IgA
was undetectable.
* 1% of activated CD3+CD4+ express CD154.
* He has a novel mutation: 290(-7) T>G in the splicing receptor
site of intron 2.
* A recent bone marrow showed "cellular marrow with trilineage
hematopoiesis; left shifted granulopoiesis."
* Two sibs are not HLA matches.

Could the neutropenia be autoimmune?

Does hemophagocytic syndrome/macrophage activation syndrome cause
unilinear (in this case granulocyte) cytopenia?

I think HSC transplant is still indicated. Would anyone disagree?

Thank you for your help.

Joe Church

Childrens Hospital Los Angeles