[PAGID] Yellow fever vaccine in SDS?

Jack Bleesing Jack.Bleesing at cchmc.org
Fri Aug 6 10:10:40 EDT 2010

Esther:

You are right, you cannot give a 100% guarantee. The MMR was in the past. Due to an emphasis on bone marrow failure disorders within my BMT group, it has become clear to me that there is much more to learn about the immune system in SDS (and SDS-like, a much bigger group) patients.

Since this appears to be an "elective" visit to Kenia (assuming that the family doesn't have to go there), I would empower the family to find things out for themselves as well (maybe they already have/are). What might be helpful for them is:

http://www.shwachman-diamond.org/index.htm

Regards,

Jack J.H. Bleesing, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
Division of Bone Marrow Transplantation and Immune Deficiency
3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 7015
Cincinnati, OH 45229
513-636-4266 (phone)
513-636-3549 (fax)

>>> "Church, Joseph" <JChurch at chla.usc.edu> 8/6/2010 9:48 AM >>>

SDS patients often have selective antibody deficiency. If there is time, I suggest you check antibody titers to previous vaccines. If these are normal you would have more evidence that the YF vaccine should be tolerated.

Joe Church
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles