[CIS PIDD] Low CH50

Patsy Giclas giclasp at njhealth.org
Wed Jul 11 17:46:25 EDT 2012

Dear Santhosh,

I have been following the train of emails regarding the measurement of CH50
and thought I¹d offer what I can on the subject.

In today¹s lab world, collection of samples for complement analysis has
improved greatly from even 10 to 15 years ago. The number of times I have
been able to prove that improper sample collection was the cause for a low
CH50 is very small (<1 %) compared to the number of samples my lab has
received over the years for CH50 or other complement functional tests. It
is true that some of the complement proteins are heat labile, the first to
go being C1q, C2, factor B and C8. For the most part, samples that have
little or no CH50 activity have either a missing protein (C1 ­ C9) in the
classical pathway (simple complement deficiency), a missing or dysfunctional
control protein (FH or FI, regulatory deficiency that results in secondary
loss of C3, or C1INH that results in decreased C4 and C2), or an activator
of the classical pathway that depletes the proteins before freezing and
during thawing. The latter could be a cryoglobulin that precipitates when
the specimen is being frozen or thawed, immune complexes in the circulation,
or bacterial or other contamination. There are also autoantibodies against
C1q, C1INH, C4 and C3bBb that can inactivate the target protein or prolong
the activity of the enzyme (C3bBb).

Thanks for the kind words, Anita
Good luck with your patient, Santhosh

Patsy
Patricia C. Giclas. Ph.D.
Director, Complement Laboratory
Advanced Diagnostic Laboratories
Professor, Pediatrics Dept, Allergy and Immunology Division
National Jewish Health
1400 Jackson St., Denver, CO 80206 U.S.A.

Office: D409, Neustadt Building
Phone: 303-398-1217
Fax: 303-270-2128
Email: giclasp at njhealth.org