[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Wiskott Aldrich and Very low platelets

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sat Mar 11 11:15:40 EST 2017

All,

I have a 4 month old male patient with Wiskott-Aldrich. His baseline
platelet count is about 30-40. He was admitted to our hospital when he was
3 months old with RSV and moraxella pneumonia. At that time, his platelet
count dropped to 2-3. That lasted about a week. As he recovered from his
infections, his platelets improved.

He was then re-admitted on March 2nd when he was 4 months old- this time
with Coronavirus and Flu A. Again his platelets have dropped and do not
really respond to platelet transfusions. He is no longer symptomatic from
his viral infections, but his platelets have yet to recover. We have given
him IVIG without any response. I have looked at his blood smear, and his
platelet count does appear to really be that low.

We are getting him prepared for a bone marrow transplant. In the meantime,
does anyone have any good recommendations of how to increase his platelet
count. I am hesitant to take out his spleen. Has anyone tried eltrombopag?

Thanks.

Evan

*Evan Shereck, MD, MEd*

Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Director, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship

Block Co-Director, Blood and Host Defense

Oregon Health & Science University I  3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Mail
Code: CDRCP  I  Portland, OR 97239

(Office): 503-494-0829  I  (Fax): 503-494-0714

 (E-mail): shereck at OHSU.edu
<https://mail.ohsu.edu/owa/14.3.266.1/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?SURL=Lo7EaJgNr7dm-91Vzq29a6AsFozcU6HcZxr1gNGTZFW2xPIy05TTCG0AYQBpAGwAdABvADoAcwBoAGUAcgBlAGMAawBAAE8ASABTAFUALgBlAGQAdQA.&URL=mailto%3ashereck%40OHSU.edu>

Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OHSUPHO
<https://mail.ohsu.edu/owa/14.3.266.1/scripts/premium/redir.aspx?SURL=WyRPz0SA5Ekc_rc2B_AotiWctzbv9uoiWKt3Q3jWNgm2xPIy05TTCGgAdAB0AHAAcwA6AC8ALwB3AHcAdwAuAGYAYQBjAGUAYgBvAG8AawAuAGMAbwBtAC8ATwBIAFMAVQBQAEgATwA.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fOHSUPHO>

message

or send a blank email to leave-4249583-96396833.5a9591ccd1e327fe6bc4d1543298c482 at lyris.dundee.net