[CIS PIDD] [cis-pidd] Wiskott Aldrich and Very low platelets

CIS-PIDD cis-pidd at lists.clinimmsoc.org
Sat Mar 11 11:56:19 EST 2017

Dear Evan,

There was an abstract by Dr. Bussell awhile ago - see below.  We have used Nplate and Promacta in a few kids with XLT and the responses have not been that robust.   On the flip side...  we have not run into toxicity.   I think they have little downside, but again - the benefit may be minimal.  In my opinion - I  would not remove the spleen unless there was some very compelling reason to do so prior to heading into transplant.   You could certainly provide platelet transfusions - does he response to transfusions (? 1 hour post-platelet count check).   How much immunoglobulin are you using (1 g/kg) ?

Best Wishes,

Dave

David Buchbinder, MD

Division of Hematology

CHOC Children's Hospital

Platelet Function and Response to Thrombopoietin Mimetics In Wiskott-Aldrich Syndrome/X-Linked Thrombocytopenia.
James B. Bussel, Andrew L Frelinger III, William B Mitchell, Mariana P Pinheiro, Marc R Barnard, Michael Lampa, Bethan Psaila, Nayla Boulad, Hannah Tamary and Alan D. Michelson
Blood 2010 116:1429