[sbe-eas] The Next National EAS test is coming

Aaron Read readaaron at friedbagels.com
Thu Jul 27 14:46:11 EDT 2023

All PRSS affiliates were given a heads-up last week, via the
ContentDepot messaging system and via NPR Studio (the new replacement
for NPRstations.org) that this test was coming via the Squawk Channel,
and that it was specifically in prep for the upcoming NPT later this
year.

I intentionally programmed my Sage 3644 at WNPN in Newport/Providence
RI (all times are EDT) to forward it, because I wanted to see how it
worked.   Mostly seemed "okay".  My Sage recorded an audio message
that had seven seconds of silence, then seems like it was upcutting
the end of a word...perhaps "system"...then it continued with "if this
had been an actual emergency, an official message would have followed
the alert tone.  This concludes this test."  Followed by five more
seconds of silence.

07/26/23 20:20:34
Required Weekly Test, Matched filter NPR-SIRIUSXM, Received on Monitor
6. Automatic Relay. EOM received 07/26/23 20:20:57.
A Primary Entry Point System has issued a Required Weekly Test for all
of the United States beginning at 8:20 pm Wed Jul 26 and ending at
8:50 pm Wed Jul 26 (NPR 1)
ZCZC-PEP-RWT-000000+0030-2080020-NPR 1 -

07/26/23 20:20:40
Required Weekly Test, Sent from header NPR-SIRIUSXM.
A Primary Entry Point System has issued a Required Weekly Test for all
of the United States beginning at 8:20 pm Wed Jul 26 and ending at
8:50 pm Wed Jul 26 (RIPR)
ZCZC-PEP-RWT-000000+0030-2080020-RIPR  -

If memory serves, the regular RWT's on Squawk have no audio at all;
just opening tones, the alert tone, then the three EOM tones.
Certainly the usual 1315 ET RWT that Squawk sends out every Wednesday
had no audio in it.  Just three seconds of silence.

- Aaron