[SBE] conversation topic: how often do you check tower ground wires?

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Thu Feb 14 07:16:03 EST 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008 12:12 am, Glenn Little WB4UIV wrote:

> I did lightning damage assessment at a previous job. We used a ground

> resistance meter to check the effectiveness of the ground system.

> Motorola wanted 5 Ohms or less. I never saw 5 Ohms. About the lowest

> I saw was 10 Ohms. You probably need something to reference the

> reading to to determine if you have deterioration.

Just to put this in perspective for those to whom it has not occurred.....

Let's say you sustain a 3 kilo-amp strike. ( not a big one )
Let's take Glen's low end 10 ohm ground resistance.
( personally, I'll reject anything over about 4 )
How much strike voltage is available to your 5 volt solid state
devices ?
How much strike current will flow through your "pretty good"
grounding conductors of, say, FCC number, 2 ohms ?
Where does the rest go ? How much is that ?
How many bends ( inductance ) are in those conductors ?
What frequencies are contained in a strike ?

How many of us can explain skin effect at an atomic level, and
how does this affect the R that your 0.4 volt Radio Scrap ohm
meter tells you, during a strike ?

Tell me again, why your expensive gear should still function ?
How many understand what Cris posted ? How many followed
the link ? Why not ?
What if it was a 30 kilo-amp direct strike ?
Just a few things to ponder.......

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

Kaufman's Law:
A policy is a restrictive document to prevent a recurrence
of a single incident, in which that incident is never mentioned.