[SBE] Industry retirement situation

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Sun Mar 16 19:35:17 EDT 2008

On Sunday 16 March 2008 07:06 pm, k7cr wrote:

> My question to you is this - How can SBE, as an

> organization of our peers, help those that are struggling

> with this issue at this time?

> As a person that sets at the BOD table, I'd like to hear

> what you and others think.

OK, Clay.
You asked for it !!

By CLEARLY defining in *today's* context, What Is a Broadcast Engineer ?
And, what he/she is *not* !

I could elaborate on various levels ( staff, consultant, contract, chief,
so-called DOE, etc. ) but I leave that to you, and the BOD to delve into.
What you come up with may, or may not, be what any of us want to hear,
but what is, is, regardless of what we might like it to be.

I'll get you started.
Today, the guy who knows how to do an "audio proof" and the guys who
can't actually do one but know what it is, is *not* a broadcast engineer.
The "audio proof" has no place today, because...........

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

All we know is the phenomenon: we spend our time sending messages to each
other, talking and trying to listen at the same time, exchanging information.
This seems to be our most urgent biological function; it is what we do with
our lives."
-- Lewis Thomas, "The Lives of a Cell"