[SBE] Question about an FM translator cavity filter --

Mike Langner mlangner at swcp.com
Tue Jun 3 20:39:29 EDT 2008

These are great ideas !

But. . .

While I could put a receiver somewhere else on the small electronic site on
the mountain, there's no way to get very far from the very short-tower 25 kW
FM station just 1.2 MHz away!

And the FM station does not have a cleanup cavity in its output. To meet FCC
spec, it doesn't have to -- but a signal that strong "strobes" every poor
connection, dissimilar metal joints, and bores its way into receiver front
ends with enough signal to put the current "loaner" translator's front end
out of linearity -- a classic case of fundamental overload. So, I've
filtered everything I can -- but not being able to control what's made in
adjacent sites in the very small area is a real headache!

I sent the local translator association a small helical notch filter that
will get rid of a bunch of the high-power FM station, and hopefully getting
the front end of the receiver back into its linear region will "fix" many of
the problems.

As for the transmit side, I think one clean-up cavity out to be enough.
Whoever spent way too much money on a three-cavity notch-pass was, I think,
sold something they really don't need.

The temporary transmitter (while I re-cap the permanent one) has "electronic
tuning" in its front end. That it's frequency-agile is really handy -- but
nothing beats real cavities and real helical filters. The older "permanent"
translator can withstand the "electronic fog" at the site much better -- it
has real physical/mechanical tuned circuits, not varicaps across inductors.

So, I think the end is in sight.

Still, it would be interesting to know what the performance characteristics
of the filter somebody put in the line are supposed to be! It would also be
interesting to know who put it there !!

Thanks again !!

Mike/