[SBE] Certification

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Fri Jun 20 16:51:02 EDT 2008

And I have interviewed and have seen some of these seasoned engineers who
don't know how to use a crimp tool, can't solder an XLR, don't know what heliax
is, can't read transmitter metering and know if its right or wrong and blow up
two 50 KW AM transmitters in one day because they tried to get 125% modulation
using 6 Orban processors in parallel to squish the sound beyond belief. (WCFL
AM 1000 if you need the reference). On the other hand there are some with
only a little experience who can do all that and more good or bad. There is no
guarantee of competance with experience. I had one applicant with 22 years of
TV experience in the military ... all in black and white video only, no audio.
The SBE certification is a valueable tool that at least says the person has a
minimal competancy level as determined by their peers, and didn't go to the
"School of FCC test question memorization" to be six week wonders as we had in
the 60's. Even better, SBE certification has numerous catagories to meet the
needs of radio, TV, networking, and the level of skills between operators and
master engineers. And better still, the question pool is not static but
reflects the innovations in the industry, not asking about 6SN7's in an age of
Pentium chips, op amps and Klystrodes and high power RF transistor transmitters.
And finally, AT NO COST TO TAX PAYERS, STATION OWNERS OR THE USE GOVERNMENT
BUREAUCRATS.

Still think SBE certification is not valuable?

Henry Ruhwiedel

</HTML>