[SBE] Certification

Albert Muick radioresearch_field_operations at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 19:16:59 EDT 2008

I've seen some incredibly valid points and counterpoints brought up here in
the past few days, and Kim Sacks did a great job of summing up some
experiences with his local electrical board. This is really getting kind of
scary.

Has anyone ever seen any legal challenges to the electrical boards' attempts
to regulate the electrical side of the broadcast industry? I'm just
wondering if they, nationally, could be coerced to recognize the SBE cert
either by wooing or legal action. At the heart of most of these "boards" is
a valid effort to cut down on disasters, but there is a sideline of feeding
business to the licensed contractors in the state or county; after all, the
unions were big sponsors of these boards.

Having said that, I wonder why the FCC won't get involved in this? They
started the downward slide when they de-regulated everything, and now it
seems like everyone and their brother intends to try to exert their
authority over the broadcast industry.

Much as I hate legal challenges, this seems to be the best way to set it all
straight, especially when FCC-licensed, SBE-certified engineers with over 30
years of experienced are being told they are not qualified to do their own
wiring and are forced to hire a contractor. This could very well cause
station management to start re-evaluating the worth of having engineers on
staff, especially if they are not allowed to do their job because of local
rules and regulations superseding federal ones!

Just my two cents,

Al Muick CBRE

"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and
business." - Tom Robbins (1936 - )