[SBE] Net Guardian SNMP Monitoring

Albert Muick radioresearch_field_operations at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 16:21:11 EDT 2008

Hi Kim,

The NetGuardian is an SNMP-capable unit, and I believe the larger APC units
as well as the GE SiteMaster units are SNMP controllable.

I'm missing some info from your post...did you have both the NetGuardian and
the UPS configured with IP addresses over the customer's network, or did you
simply connect one to the other? If you did that, you may need a crossover
cable to bypass the need for connecting them through a network. (You can
tell by the lack of activity on the NIC cards when they are jacked
together).

SNMP (Simple Network management Protocol) is a standard and is not too hard
to work with, provided you have all the stuff you need. Maybe if we can go
a little further with your test fixture, I or someone else can help you in
greater detail. I know you said you sat through the DVD tutorials, so maybe
the problem is something else.

Routers, switches, etc., are also usually SNMP controllable/configurable.

Al Muick CBRE
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+