[SBE] Net Guardian SNMP Monitoring

Londono Echeverry, Roberto rlondono at wsu.edu
Thu Jun 26 17:56:35 EDT 2008

Hi Kim

Here is definition SNMP.

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) forms part of the internet
protocol suite as defined by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
SNMP is used in network management systems to monitor network-attached
devices for conditions that warrant administrative attention. It
consists of a set of standards for network management, including an
Application Layer protocol, a database schema, and a set of data
objects.
Reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol

When you said " I tried to connect the Net Guardian to my APC Smart UPS
1000 via the RS232
connector." You can't use this protocol to Management your UPS to use
RS232 you need to connect by RJ 45 Like Al Muick said " you may need a
crossover

> cable to bypass the need for connecting them through a network. (You

can

> tell by the lack of activity on the NIC cards when they are jacked

> together)." And usually IP addresses Computer and UPS need to same

network.
Many problem UPS are Batteries or protections check that before you put
trash.

Roberto Londono-Echeverry, CBNT

Information Systems Coordinator
Educational and Public Media