[SBE] Who is Radiotime.com?

Edwin Bukont ebukont at msn.com
Thu Oct 23 14:24:59 EDT 2008

The truly bizzaroo mind warp here is that broadcasters, who fought against RIAA fees, are giving away their own product. So let's see, you have to pay to stream someone else's content, but you give yours away? And just because you might be able to play their content for 'free', you figure yours is too? Don't you pay for the network access, the equipment, the rack the equipment sits in and the power to operate it? This is exactly the high minded 'revenue (income - expenses) be dammed, we are at war here, programming and ratings at any cost' mentality that has led to the mess this industry is in. If you have to pay for something, why would you not charge to provide it as well? That's like buying raw materials and not charging for the final product. Edwin Bukont CSRE, DRB, CBNT Comm-Struction and Services LLC V- 410.879.5567 F- 410.272.5750 C- 240.417.2475 ebukont at msn.com A Harris Broadcast Channel Partner

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:12:18 -0700From: darryl.mcg at klewtv.comTo: sbe at sbe.orgSubject: Re: [SBE] Who is Radiotime.com?
Its great that you think it OK for someone else to stream your content without your permission or negotiating any form of compensation for the content, but, most broadcasters are in the business to make money and letting someone else use your content without the benefit of compensation is little more than theft. A stream is a revenue source and the originator of the content has a right to be compensated for it.

From: sbe-bounces at sbe.org [mailto:sbe-bounces at sbe.org] On Behalf Of Christopher TarrSent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:48 AMTo: Ron Castro; sbe member discussion mail listSubject: Re: [SBE] Who is Radiotime.com?
We're actually happy that Radiotime is doing it.

They have a great iPhone app that offers streams from all over. It includes our logo, and information on the station/DJ. Our opinion is that since we offer the stream for free through our site, why not have people use that like elsewhere if it means being able to stream our stations on a variety of devices. It creates plenty of goodwill, and even more ears.

I would say that instead of involving attorneys and riot-act reading, take a look at the benefits. If you don't see any, then politely ask them to take the links down. It's been great for us and our listeners.