[SBE] How long did it take you to move the studio

Cowboy curt at spam-o-matic.net
Tue Nov 25 09:16:18 EST 2008

On Monday 24 November 2008 09:51 pm, R.V.Zeigler wrote:

> I have been involved in two projects like this.

> One was moving 4 stations and a satellite network from 2 different

> buildings into a remodeled insurance claims office. There was one person

> (Dir. of Eng.) that put more time than humanly possible into it, with

> two others helping on a part time basis. As I remember this took

> approximately a year.

It's what I've been doing since about 1985 or so.

The worst case was a move of two functional radio, and keeping
them on the air the whole time, in 28 days.
We did it, barely. ( came within 15 minutes of transparent cutover queue )
There was several million riding on that project ( tens of millions )
so there wasn't much choice in getting it done. Fairly well planned,
but not completely ( which was why they chose me ) but well
funded. ( fast, right, or cheap. Choose TWO )
Included all of the air chains, offices, IT, walls and partitions,
satellite, and furniture. About a dozen of us dedicated to the project,
and a Chief smart enough to just get out of the way.

I think the longest project was about 6 months, and involved moving
about 6 radio stations, several prod studios, and offices, as part
of a consolidation. Moderately well planned, well funded.
It became something slightly ahead of state of the art at the time,
by design. That was a very "comfortable" build-out. Chief was VERY
involved, and got what he wanted.

The disasters ALL involved the word "cheap."
The MOST important thing, HAVE A PLAN !!
As complete a plan as possible, right down to wire numbers, then
expect it to be modified slightly as you go.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

--
Cowboy

http://cowboys.homeip.net

If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?
-- Lily Tomlin