[SBE] DTV Delay

k7cr k7cr at blarg.net
Sat Jan 24 17:15:04 EST 2009

IMHO - This discussion evokes thoughts of what I call the Left/Right Hand of
Government rule. Translation - Any given branch of government (left hand)
is not likely to know/understand/support/etc. another (Right) branch, their
work or goals. My experience is that those that supposed that this is not
the case have either been ignoring history or have, perhaps due to their
desire to see a different outcome, have higher expectations for government.
In the defense of those many DC workers that do care, and I have met many.
Gary, it's that the 'system' is overwhelming. To achieve the desired
outcome our challenge is to -

> Avoid standing on the outside and throwing bricks or other objects,

> rather, Be ready and willing to seize the opportunities that come along

> to work with those on the 'inside' when we are given a chance to do so.

> Recognize that our system, as bad as it appears, is likely to be better

> than most man-made organizational creations in other countries.

> Never give up a fight for something that you, and many others, know is

> noble and right.

> Don't - ever - be afraid to speak out.

> Work to understand the ways of Washington and utilize that knowledge to

> advance our cause, after all, this is the method that is the most

> efficient as proven time and time again.

> Remember that to many in WDC, we may be viewed as a forest. For those of

> that live within, each of us are trees. This difference is perspective

> permitting us to see the variables and to understand the fine points like

> no others.

And finally -

I really have no idea whether the President knows what EAS is. Right now
he, obviously, has many larger issues on his plate. Congress is under a lot
of pressure to pull the rabbit out of the economic hat right now...had this
issue not been on the front burner, a cause such as ours would be able to
gain a good deal more traction. This does not mean give up, but rather to
do what we can to insure that the vision of IPAWS is indeed fulfilled.

The Public Warning Cause is something that all that work in WDC should
understand and appreciate and, hopefully, support. Unfortunately the one
organization that was created to, in cooperative manner, promote this
cause - The Partnership for Public Warning, PPW, was forced to dissolve due
to lack of funding and support. In this day of difficult economic times,
it's going to be hard to find anyone willing to open their pocketbook to
fund such an organization again. I commend those that are trying. \

In the mean time, we need to understand that our cause is just, but just
like the world of news, other issues are getting on the front page right
now.

Clay Freinwald