[SBE] SBE Digest, Vol 204, Issue 1

McGlothen, Darryl darryl.mcg at klewtv.com
Thu Jul 23 16:14:33 EDT 2009

What you mean to say is, "I don't want to discuss my ignorance of
security issues in public." A 'public forum' is exactly the place for
security discussions to take place. While it is "off-topic" for this
discussion list, the question as to whether the Society should or should
not make PayPal a payment option for its members is cogent to the needs
of those members using this list.

That being said, your concern about List Members being 'spammed' simply
because some use PayPal as a payment option is totally unfounded and
unrelated to the spammers/scammers sending bogus PayPal/Ebay alerts to
email addresses. Check out PayPal's Security Center (due diligence) for
information about how PayPal protects the private information of its
members and how they contact members in the event of a security issue.

As to why you (or any other SBE member) may be getting bogus emails
purporting to come from PayPal or Ebay, the fact that you have an email
address is all the scammers need to send these messages. Membership in
Ebay or PayPal is not a requirement just as non-membership or use of
PayPal or Ebay services is not a protection from the scammers. If you
don't want to ever get spam, don't have and use an email address! At
least, don't 'Chicken Little' the issue by spreading false rumors and
misinformation.

I, for one, applaud the efforts of the Society to fill the needs of the
membership by considering all the options.

Darryl McGlothen, CBNT