[SBE] SBE Digest, Vol 204, Issue 1

Jonathan Solomon jonstv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 16:42:06 EDT 2009

Darryl, you said exactly what I wanted to say. The phishing emails
are usually generated from an email list harvested from something
completely unrelated to the source. Usually it's a PRIVATE email
address book that has been comprised by a virus, ad/malware etc.

You should treat email like a head of state would treat snail mail:
unless you are expecting the email, always suspect the return address
is bogus. And even if the address looks legit, don't open attachments
if the content is strange. For example, if you receive an email from
this list (looks legit and you expect it), with a subject of "girls
waiting for you" and a file attached, you wouldn't open it. [Note for
the moderator, I know this wouldn't happen, and I know you can't
attach... it's the point.]

I'd say it's common sense, but even the best of us get burnt.

My $0.02.

Can I get change?

Jon