[SBE] In Need of Mentoring

A9xw at cs.com A9xw at cs.com
Tue Oct 13 11:20:34 EDT 2009

There are often engineering intern jobs at non union stations, PBS is a
good place to look. In major markets likely less opportunities because unions
prevent free help. Radio tends to have one engineer per group per market
and the rest are contractors. Non tech jobs have more opportunities for
interns. Learn traffic (program logs) sales, news, and then hang around the other
areas to learn what you can. When I got into the biz Broadcasting magazine
would have a dozen pages of help wanted ads. Now if I see one or two per
month in any publication its a big month and most are for high level people.
There are always opening for "talent" because few have enough to make it so
the bosses are always looking for "a fresh new face." The standard joke is on
air talent own a u-haul trailer.

Henry