[SBE] Digital interference question

William Whitt billw at betterlifetv.tv
Tue Oct 13 18:02:57 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I have been running interference studies . doing digital flash-cuts . using
ComStudy 2.2. Since the August 25th date opened the doors for people
submitting one application after another - when my GM finally gave me the go
ahead to flash-cut over to digital on some of my locations. I am packed in
with no opportunity to flash cut over without interfering with someone else.
Groups like CTB spectrum INC. has been submitting applications for channels
above and below low power analog stations . and every available channel in
the area . causing me to really worry if I can actually flash-cut at all.
Frankly in 2 of my areas, I really feel that I will have to remain analog
with no choice - cause all channels that I could have cut over too have been
taken. With the exception of my own analog channel there is nothing
available.

So, this is why I come to you guys. I was under the impression that digital
channels can operate side by side . can they do that? How would one "write
that up" so the FCC can see that I'm moving from a LP NTSC format and moving
into a LP DTV format, and even though the station co-exists at my location .
I will not cause interference . as a digital station operating adjacent to
another digital station.

The interference study that I'm running now indicates that I am causing an
almost 20% increase in new population percentage when I run the study as a
Digital Station flash-cut over to the same channel as my analog. When I run
the study as an analog station I cause no interference to them. When I run
the study pretending to be them, they as a digital station only cause about
0.1% interference to me one channel higher than analog channel. It would
appear that if you're in a digital format - and the adjacent channel is an
analog station - you as a digital channel cause no interference hardly at
all. BUT if you are a digital channel adjacent to another digital channel -
then it causes all kinds of problems.

I'm confused and frustrated. I want to stay on channel and move from an
analog format to a digital format - and I thought in so doing that even
though the stations next to yours were digital - that wouldn't be a problem
since that was the "beauty" of digital to begin with. There has got to be a
way to write this up and do what I want to do, but I can't think of a
solution at the moment.

Any ideas?

Bill Whitt