[SBE] Pay scale

Jeff Carter sbe at hidden-valley.com
Wed Oct 14 11:05:23 EDT 2009

The CE of a PBS TV Station in GA starts around $45K. Someone
literally has to die for those jobs to become available, however, and
they generally hire from existing engineers who make around $25K to
start. You can sit there making $25K for twenty years while you wait
for the appropriate death to occur, and then you compete against
everyone else. By way of comparison, a NOC engineer with a Bachelor's
and no experience starts at $40K here (this person has no more
knowledge of IT than a broadcast engineer is expected to have).

I am not aware of any CE in GA who makes six figures, although there
are contract folks who seem to do pretty well.

Jeff/KD4RBG