[SBE] Unattended Operation

Richard_Rudman rar01 at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 18:43:58 EDT 2011

Hi, Rick:

The answer Cowboy gave is basically correct,but as is usually the case, there is more to it. I would suggest you might read the Rulemaking on this that happened in 1995 that carries a complete discussion of what the FCC did, and why they did it. It also carried the actual changes to Part 73 governing unattended operation. There is a burden to know when things go out of kilter in the unattended rules, so the equipment knows what to do and when to do it, including being able to turn off the transmitter within a specified time period to mitigate interference.

Quoting, "unattended operation is either the absence of human supervision or the substitution of automated supervision of a station's transmission system for
human supervision. In the former case, equipment is employed which is expected to operate within assigned tolerances for extended periods of time. The latter consists of the use of a self-monitoring or ATS-monitored and controlled transmission system that, in lieu of contacting a person designated by the licensee, automatically takes the station off the air within three hours of any technical malfunction which is capable of causing interference."

Long form:

http://tinyurl.com/Part73-Unattended

That said, best to consult your communications attorney for specifics. While some of us may play lawyers on television, I for one do not have the degree that makes it legal or ethical for me to offer hard and fast advice on the FCC's rules to others. So, I try to steer people to the rules on a given situation, and then add the comment that you always should check with whomever looks after your FCC affairs legally.

Richard Rudman
(operating in attended mode right now)