[SBE] EAS CAP adaptors/converters

Adrienne Abbott weathertop at charter.net
Tue Aug 21 21:52:49 EDT 2012

Gary-

IMHO.That all depends on whether your state or local emergency
managers/public safety/law enforcement agencies have access to the
technology to issue warnings in the CAP format. CAP is all about the
goodies-or in your case meta data-that can be sent with the CAP message,
things like photos of AMBER Alert victims/suspects, maps of evacuation areas
and routes, graphics with information on how to boil water.

While the FCC may not demand that you receive more than a certain amount of
text in the CAP format, radio and TV broadcasters who have made a commitment
to serve their communities will appreciate getting as much info as possible
with the initial alert, be it an EAS activation or a public warning that
doesn't quite reach the level of an EAS activation. Whether or not you have
a news department, you can always use the news releases and information that
comes from community officials. But you'll only get that data as long as
your officials are CAP-equipped. If they aren't, then you have no reason to
go with anything other than the minimum equipment that the FCC requires.
It's kind of a two-way street, with a commitment needed from your state and
local government to go with the FCC CAP EAS mandate. The FCC can require the
broadcasters to have a certain type or level of CAP equipment, neither they
nor FEMA can require state and local governments to have the ability to use
that equipment.

Adrienne