[Techtoolslist] Realllly need a Z80/AA

John Robertson jrr at flippers.com
Tue Aug 8 21:29:25 EDT 2017

The problem with swapping UUT CPU cables is they are simply not the same.

http://flippers.com/fluke.html (near bottom is the list)

What I found is that the different part numbers have to do with how the
twisted pair wires are connected to the grounds. If the CPU has two
grounds (commons) then BOTH lines in the cable are also tied together,
and the twisted pairs for the data side of the cable is also tied to
that common ground within the cable housing both at the UUT plug and the
header where the ground are brought out to the pod ground tie point.
This was for a 6502 cable #685479. Have not explored others, but assume
similar rules apply. It looks like you can repair these cables if you
are careful in trimming and crimping etc. The breaks I found were at the
pod end connector and so shortening the cable by 1/2 inch should get you
onto fresh wire but it will be rather fiddly work...

However you can use a shorter 40 pin UUT cable that is not
shielded/twisted as long as it is shorter than the regular ones for the
higher speed CPUs. At least I assume you can get away with it. After all
Ms Pacman (uses a Z80A) runs on a daughter board that is at least a six
inch long ribbon cable...

Your mileage will vary!

John :-#)#